Not ones to miss out on a trend, we’ve always been vocal about circus letters and how they’re a must-have for your home décor, wedding, or pretty much any celebration you can think of this year.
Rather than run the risk of buying circus letters that blend into the background, get creative and combine them with our fantastic festoon lights to really make a statement!
After a quick read of our company’s insurance policy, we, here at Festive HQ, decided to holster up our tool belts and show you just how to do it. Whilst we’re more Chuckle Brothers than DIY experts, we think you’ll appreciate the finished result.
So, if you have a creative flair and know your way around a toolbox – or have no problem bossing around someone who does – watch and read on for an easy-to-follow guide:
What you will need:
- 4ft x 2ft MDF (1” depth)
- A4 stencils of your chosen letters
- 2p coin
- Power drill
- 25mm spade bit
- Power jig saw
- Sandpaper & sanding block
- Tin of white wood paint & paint brush
- Our festoon lights
Step 1: Draw it
- Use a pencil and ruler to draw your chosen letters on your piece(s) of wood, then use a 2p coin to draw your bulb holes.
Step 2: Drill it
- Use a 25mm spade bit to create your bulb holes.
Step 3: Cut it
- Use a jig saw to cut your letters out. For letters with a hole in the middle, use your power drill to create a hole, which can be used to cut out the middle successfully.
Step 4: Refine it
- Use your sandpaper and sanding block to round the corners and smooth the edges of your letters.
Step 5: Paint it
- If you’re happy with the natural look, proceed to Step 6.
- If you’d like to add some colour, now’s the time to do it!
Step 6: Install it
- Disassemble your bulb cap holders and insert them into your bulb holes.
- Screw all the bulb caps back in, then turn your letters over and thread the LEDs through the bulb holders, securing them in place at the back.
Step 7: Switch on and enjoy it!
And there you have it! Bespoke, handmade marquee letters with an infusion of Festive Lights’ festoons. From initials, to your favourite mantra, the possibilities are endless for adding that personal touch to your home décor or special event. Well, what are you waiting for? Go grab your DIY dungarees!
We’d love to see what you do with your DIY light up circus letters, so be sure to post a photo on Twitter or tag us on Instagram, make sure you use the hashtag #MyFestiveLights and we’ll share our favourites.